I must confess......

In a few posts back I talked about missing a workout. I got quite a bit of slack from some of my clients after that blog post. Last week I went to the dermatologist and consequently couldn't swim for a few days. I had to cancel a swim that I usually do with Michael. We swim together periodically and I couldn't make it two times in a row. He says to me, "what about your blog about not missing workouts?" Well I don't want to get some crazy infection so I am not swimming, I DID however run that day. In my professional opinion I had a valid excuse! Another client Mark that I run and ride with sometimes called me out on this too. He said what about that time you canceled our run? He did not think my excuse was valid that time either. I will say that I did run later in the day and my excuse in my opinion WAS valid. What was my excuse you may ask? Well I can't mention what it was here but just take my word for it that it was valid! So when I do miss a workout, it does not mean that I am not working out at all. In most every case I did workout!

I also talked about the Ironman tattoo. That was another post that created a ton of talk! A few weeks later I went and got a tattoo. NO it was not the M-Dot. That is the one I HATE. It is unique and very cool. It does have a swimmer, biker and runner and the numbers 140.6 which is the distance of the Ironman. Some people gave me #$@! for getting it after I talked badly about the M-dot. But in my opinion it is totally different!

There are a few more things I need to get off my chest. I raced last weekend in California and it was such a great weekend to get away. It was so hot in Vegas and California was great. I raced in Oxnard California at the Strawberry Fields Triathlon. I was a little unsure how I was going to do at this race. I have not race Olympic distance for several years. I have been focused on longer distance events. This year (if you read my blog you know) I have done an Ironman and 50 mile run (attempt only made it to 38). So after Ironman in May I just focused on running and training for the 50 miler. Now it is time for this triathlon and I have not been on my bike since May 1st. Thankfully the bike is my strongest area of the three sports. I actually had to remove the sticker on my bike from the race on May 1st to put the new sticker on for this race last weeknd. Needless to say I did not know how I was going to do. Now I have taught ALOT of spin classes but we all know its not the same. Being outside on your bike is essential to improving your performance. As it turns out I did OK on the bike. Thanks to the guy who kept trying to pass me and made me work harder to not let him pass me! I finished the bike in 1:01 which was pretty fast thankfully it was a flat bike course. I finished the race in 2:21 for my total time and placed first in my age group and 6th overall for women. It was a great day for a race. The weather was perfect, very little wind, water was a cool 62 and I was excited to ONLY be doing a mile swim, 25 mile ride and 6 mile run! After two years of training for long distance events I was thrilled to be racing Sunday. I have not done this distance for a few years so I really didn't know what to expect. Originally there was a group of 5-6 that were going to do the race and as it turned out it was me at Michael a client of mine. The bike and run course were pretty flat so that was great. It was an ocean swim and I love those. The water had some swells but not too bad. I forgot how much I love racing in California. I plan on doing the LA Tri in October. That is one of my favorite Olympic distance races. Michael did great as well. He wanted to finish in 2:35 and he came in at 2:26! To all of you who were going to do that race and didn't (Hollie, Anne, Denny) you missed a great race!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Triathletes - to spin or not to spin?

The Ironman Tattoo

My Top Training Product Picks