- increased belly fat
- decrease muscle mass
- loss of sleep or uneasy sleep
- poor performance
Stress can also:
- cause ulcers
- cause inflammation in your body
- cause headaches
- over eating binges
- cause you to miss workouts
- lead to depression
- decrease immune system and make you more susceptible to sicknesses such as colds and flu
So what should you do to reduce stress? Well if you cant change jobs like I did there are still things you can do to relieve stress in your life.
- Avoid people that stress you out! Yes no matter how much you like them, some people LOVE drama and pull you into it. You need to distance yourself from these people. I am not saying you can't be friends or acquaintances with them just limit your exposure to them. Sometimes it is family members and this is tough but you need to think about what its doing to you.
- Exercise is the best way to reduce stress. When you are stressed the LAST thing you should do is miss a workout. It is good for your body both physically and mentally.
- Avoid stimulants like caffeine, ephedrine or bitter orange. These could make sleepless nights worse and cause more anxiety.
- Do something you really enjoy doing. I am shocked when I talk with people that don't really know what they are passionate about! But there are a lot of people that really are not sure what they like to do. Find out what it is and do it. There has to be something out there for everyone!
- Keep yourself busy. Don't give yourself any time to dwell on the things that stress you out. Keeping busy will also make it more difficult to stress eat. If you tend to eat unhealthy when stressed the busier you are the better.
- Mediation or Yoga for some people is a great way to reduce stress.
- Get enough sleep - at least 7-8 hours a night.
- Take your vitamins and eat healthy!
Living a stress free life is possible and it is up to you to make changes toward living stress free. I surround myself with positive people that make me laugh. They say laughter makes you live longer so I plan on living a long life. They also say people with pets live longer.....I am good on both of those!