I raced at Ironman Texas May 21st, 2011. This was my 5th Ironman to complete. The best feeling I have had in my life is crossing the finish line at an Ironman. It is amazing and even better if the race went well like my latest one. I was stoked and felt like I was in the best shape of my life. I had my best performance and recovered better and faster than any other Ironman race. Now its two weeks later and I am already restless without a big event right around the corner. I have the same feeling I have had after every big event in my training history. I don't have any big events immediately around the corner and to top it off I have cut back on my training. All of which is good for my body to rest but I feel blah! That is the only way to explain it. No big workouts, light training and no endorphine rush! Being an expert in fitness as a triathlon coach and personal trainer I know my body needs some easy weeks of training after an Ironman. But my mind doesn't want that. I get a rush out of training hard and having a goal approaching. I can't explain why I am like that but it keeps me happy and my mind healthy. My next big race isn't until October. I have a few smaller ones throughout the summer but nothing major. I know I am not the only person to experience post Ironman blues. I have talked to others and they get what I am saying. It is an uneasy and unfocused feeling.
So what is my strategy to get me back on track?
- Take this time to get personal stuff done that was put on the back burner for the past few months.
- Try some new things. I recently bought the TRX training kit and will be doing this in place of strength training for a month. I have been wanting to do this for a while.
- Work on improving my speed and focus on a few shorter distance races throughout the summer.
- Focus more on flexibility by incorporating hot yoga into my schedule. I will continue to see Coach Nancy once a week for my stretch session.....she is amazing and keeps my body healthy through all the training. Check her out at www.corehore.com.
- Put more time into my personal training business and triathlon coaching business. My business is busy but there are several things I have wanted to do to make it better. This is the time to do it!