Los Cabos 70.3 Relay Recap

I can't believe in my 20+ years of racing I had never done a relay.  I haven't been training for a triathlon for over a year. I've been doing some running, swimming and teaching spin classes to stay fit. We decided to do the a vacation/relay race.  We thought it would be good to get away and race but not be too serious about it.  I like swimming and running so I decided to do that portion and my boyfriend said he would do the bike.  We got there a few days early and booked a fun day at Flora Farms.  They grow their own food, have a few shops, you can tour the farm and they also have a spa.  Being mostly vegan is hard when you travel to certain areas and the two times I've traveled to Mexico it's hard to find good places for me to eat.  This place however was fantastic! The food was super fresh and great!  The specialty cocktails were amazing!  This is the good thing about doing a relay is you don't have to be really serious and can have fun a few days before the race without feeling guilty:) We enjoyed lunch and several cocktails and then walked around a bit until it was time for our massages.  I got a massage and pedicure and it was great. Anytime you go to a place like this you should be expected to pay a bit more than usual but we were on vacation so we indulged.  We got back to the resort and picked up our packets and then relaxed.  Overall I enjoyed Cabo but the race was a bit unorganized.  Some of the communication in the race packet was wrong which was confusing.   We went to drop off Michaels bike at transition one. This race has a split transition and at T1 there was no parking so it was really congested and difficult to get to.  We had a friend take Michaels bike in his truck and we took Uber.  Going back we took Uber but it was going to be a challenge race day to figure out how to get around.
After Swim 

The swim was great and the water was so warm with just a little chop.  I love swimming in the ocean I felt really good in the swim.  We lined up based on our predicted finishing time in the swim.  They only let one person go at a time so it took a very long time to get to the front.  I am always annoyed with people who line up in a group that is faster than they will be able to swim.  I am always passing people who are very slow and should have been lined up behind me.  My swim was not fast but it was OK and I felt great.  I had a friend who was doing the relay with some of his friends and he had a driver there since he lived there.  He offered to take me to T2  after the swim.  That worked out great except for when his driver turned onto the closed bike course and couldn't figure out how to get off.  We had to back up for about 500 yards watching out for bikes coming our way.  It was a little unnerving but we managed to do so safely.  We decided to go hand out at Starbucks while we waited for the bikers to get done.  Michael came in off the bike in his expected time of 3 hours.  It was a pretty challenging bike course so that was a great time.  I anticipated my run would be about an 11 minute mile. 
Run

I didn't run much after my marathon a few weeks before so I could give my hip a rest.  It was supposed to be a 2 loop run course however the night before the race they changed it to a 3 loop course.  This was probably better because there were lots of people cheering us on.  I stuck with my Cliff Blocks for nutrition along with Gatoraide, water and Pepsi.  I finished with exactly an 11 min mile average for my pace.  I honestly think I would have ran the same pace if I did the bike too.  I seem to run about the same after biking.  This was a great destination race if you want a little bit of a vacation with your race.  Our next destination race is Hawaii 70.3 and we won't be doing the relay but our time will probably be about the same! 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Triathletes - to spin or not to spin?

The Ironman Tattoo