How To Get Started Running With Your Dog


I’ve been doing most of my running for the past 15 years with dogs.  I love running with dogs and most of them love running with me.  I’ve learned a lot over the years about the right things to do and wrong things to do when running with your pup.  I am not a vet, so this is just a runner giving some suggestions to make things go smoother when you want to start running with your dog.  It’s always good to talk to your vet before you begin a running program with your dog.  

My all time best running buddy Daisy!
My all time best
running buddy Daisy! 


People often ask what is the best  breed to run with.  There are certainly some breeds that are better suited for running that others.  I’ve run with my dogs and 100’s of shelter dogs over the years.  I’ve found the best dogs for long distance running are medium sized, leaner with long legs.  Thats not to say some bulky pitbull type would never make a good distance runner because each dog is so different.  Good breeds for distance would likely be Pointers, Border Collies, Vizlsla, Heelers, Catahoulas, Siberian Husky’s, Medium sized hounds and most mutts that are medium sized.  Some larger breeds such as Labrador Retrievers, Hounds, Standard Poodles, and Weimeraners are usually good for medium distance running.  Dogs that typically don’t make good runners are short nosed dogs such as Pugs, Boxers, Boston Terriers and Bulldogs.  Over the years volunteering at the shelter I’ve ran with a lot of pitbulls.  Some have been really great runners and others seemed to hate it.  Most pitbulls that are at the shelters are mixed with some other breeds so you really never know what you’re getting.  A lot of pitbulls love to lounge on the couch all day and could care less about running or any form of exercise.  Then you have some pitbulls that have loads of energy and could run forever.  From my experience with pits you never know what type of runner you’ll get!  My all time best running buddy was Daisy.  She loved to run and was always eager to go!  I have never found a dog like her and its been 4 years since she died.  My current dogs like running but not like Daisy did.  She was a mixed medium size breed and her DNA showed 50% Doberman, 25% Shetland Sheepdog and 25% Dalmatian.  She was about 50lbs and was the perfect mix for running. She was strong like an ox but not too big so she could go the distance.  


One of my favorite shelter 
pups to run with Cash
the Catahoula 

Starting to run with your dog should begin by gradually increasing your mileage just like you probably did when you began running.   I would start with a run/walk when you begin running with your dog.  Start with walking 4 minutes then running 1 minute.  Do that for 1-2 weeks then change it to walking 3 minutes and running 2 minutes.  Each week you should increase the mileage by no more than 10%.  Dogs just like humans should have a day of complete rest to recover.  Keep the initial mileage low like 1-2 miles and gradually increase especially if your dog was completely inactive.  If you have a base of walking your dog regularly then you can start with an higher mileage.  


Let's talk about the gear you should use for running with your dog.  A waist or caincross belt is a must!  The difference between and waist belt and caincross is that the caincross will fit around your hips as opposed to your waist but both are hands free. Which one  you should get depends on where your dog is during your run.  If your dog is out front pulling which is ideal in my opinion (as long as they don’t pull too hard) a caincross belt is the best!  With this type of set up a harness on your dog is best as rather than  a neck collar.  If your dog likes to stay close by your side then a waist belt will work and either a harness or neck collar would be fine.  If you use a neck collar a thicker one is better because it will distribute any pressure on the neck better.  If you have a reactive dog then a collar is better than a harness so that you have better control of your dog.  I think its also important to have different set ups for walking your dog and running your dog.  This way your dog clearly understands what they are doing when you set out for your run or walk.  You don’t want your dog pulling on a walk but when running its not bad!  You can have different commands when beginning each activity.  When we are running I use LET’S GO and they always know when we are running rather than out for a casual walk.  A good caincross belt is made by  Non Stop Dog Gear .



If you have two dogs then it’s important to train them separately before running them together.  You can also tether them together if they like to run next to each other.  My two dogs both run with me at the same time however the one doesn’t like to run next to the other.  Tethering for my two was a disaster!  When we start our run my husky is out in front while my other dog is behind.  When we are headed back its the opposite the husky is in back and the hound is in front like a horse heading back to the barn!  


My dog Pacer will run out in front if someone else is running with me otherwise she runs at my side.  I only wear my non-stop running belt that goes around my hips when she’ll run out in front.  I wear a normal waist leash if it’s just us running.  I use 2 inch martingale collars when we’re running and its just us but I’ll use a Ruffwear harness when she’s out in front.  For leashes I like a lightweight but sturdy leash and Ruffwear makes great leashes.  


If you plan to run on trails its very important to work into it slowly so your dogs paws can toughen up.  Too much too soon they won’t like it and could rip up their paws.  You could also try and get them used to wearing boots to protect their paws from the rough terrain.  I still suggest running on leash even on trails because there can be lots of critters that they might like to chase or even worse rattlesnakes, skunks or porcupines!  


I don’t feed my dogs before a run and when I do feed them after the run I wait until they have completely cooled down and their breathing has returned to normal.  For long runs I carry water for my pups.  They have learned how to drink from the camelback.  You can also find collapsible water dishes that are easy to carry. Just make sure your pup doesn’t drink too much too fast.  I don’t feed snacks on long runs because dogs were meant to go longer without refueling unlike humans. I do feed my dogs more on the days we have longer runs.  I figure they are more active burning more calories so they need more.  I feed less on recovery days and days where we do less activity.  


For early morning or late night runs I use the lighthound vest for my dogs and they have a vest that lights up for humans too!  This makes us very visible to everyone!

Noxgear vest


During the warmer months I use the Ruffwear swamp cooling vest.  In the hotter months we run shorter distance and very early but sometimes we still need this.  I freeze it and will re-wet it a few times during a 3-5 mile run.  Each dog handles the heat differently and as dogs age they typically don’t handle the heat as well.  It is important to pay attention to your dog during the summer months.  Dogs want to please you and sometimes when they are in distress they will keep trying to run with you.  


My current dogs Lilly and Pacer



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Triathletes - to spin or not to spin?

The Ironman Tattoo

Los Cabos 70.3 Relay Recap