Sick Of Being Sick?


Are you that person that ALWAYS gets sick in the fall and spring?  Do you simply expect it will happen and have accepted it?  I refuse to accept the fact that fall and spring have to come with a cold or flu.  I don't rely on the flu shot and I rarely get sick.  I'm not saying people shouldn't get the flu shot but I am saying it's not for me.  As a massage therapist and personal trainer I come into close contact with people and germs everyday.  I am an athlete so I also run myself down and probably do more than I should between work and working out.  There are so many things you can do to protect yourself from getting sick.  I take vitamins regularly and some I take seasonally.  My daily vitamins include the following: 

  • A general multiple vitamin
  • Mezotrace multi-mineral
  • Now PQQ Energy - Pyrroloquinoline Quinone (pqq), CoQ10 and B12
  • Iron - being vegan I need extra iron
  • Zyflammend by New Chapter
  • Vitamin D and K2
  • doTerra Acidophilus 
  • Doctor's Best Phosphatidyl Serine Plus DHA 
  • B-12
  • Omega 3's from Algae 
Since I am vegan I make sure all of my supplements are vegan.   My omega vitamins come from algae and all the capsules are from vegetables instead of gelatin.  My vitamin D doesn't come from fish and it is more expensive but personally I would rather not have the animal products.   


The products I take seasonally are:
  • Source Natural Wellness formula or doTerra On Guard.  doTerra On Guard Capsules They are both good products and I will usually alternate these.  I will take them in the spring and fall when people typically get sick.  
  • If I feel like I am getting sick (usually first signs might be fatigue or elevated heart rate) I will use EmergenC and Zicam.  The key to using these is to use them when you experience the first signs.  If you wait too long it might be too late.  
  • If I am training a lot I might take some branched chain amino acids for recovery.
Some other things I do regularly to stay healthy are:
  • Get enough sleep and good quality sleep.  I take Pharma Gaba by Natural Factors to help with my sleep. 
  • Wash my hands regularly and use hand sanitizer.  I use the doTerra On Guard hand sanitizer.  I also use the On Guard essential oil combination. It's a wonderful product that has protective properties.  They also make a mouthwash and throat drops that are amazing!  doTerra
  • Eat healthy including lots of antioxidant rich vegetables.  When I eat I always think about the nutritional value of the food I am eating.  I think about how the food that I'm eating will make me feel.  Is it going to give me energy for my upcoming workout?  
  • Stay hydrated and try and drink about a gallon of water a day.  If you are far from a gallon then build up to it slowly. 
 In the event that you do get sick here are some guidelines to follow to lessen the duration:
  • Make sure you get plenty of sleep and drink plenty of fluids. 
  • If you have a fever then stay home from work and don't workout.  Seeing the doctor is probably a good idea. 
  • If I have a cold and stuffy nose and cough as symptoms I will use a day time cold medicine product to relieve the symptoms. 
  • If you do not have a fever then a light workout might be ok.  It's important to listen to your body.  If you feel like you need more rest then take a day off. 
Living a healthy lifestyle on a regular basis will help you avoid some of seasonal sicknesses.  Having a strong immune system will keep you protected, healthy and strong.  You can order any of the doTerra On Guard products at doTerra

Good Luck This Fall and Stay Healthy, 

Coach Cyndee 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Triathletes - to spin or not to spin?

The Ironman Tattoo

Los Cabos 70.3 Relay Recap