Proper recovery from any type of exercise is just as important as the exercise it self. There are many ways to recover and in this blog post I will talk about one of my favorites. Massage has many benefits both mentally and physically. I have been getting massage for over 20 years. If I am training for an event I get it twice a month and weekly leading up to the event. On a regular basis I try and do it at least once a month. You need to find a schedule that works for you because it can get expensive to have it too often. If a perfect world I would like to get it once a week! I love massage so much I became a massage therapist so that I could help others. Here are just a few of the benefits that massage can provide you:
- Reduce stress - stress kills! Many people do not realize how toxic stress is to your body. When you are under stress your body produces more cortisol which is a bad hormone that can cause damage to your body. Stress can lower you immune system and cause problems with your sleep patterns. Massage is one of the best ways to reduce stress and help you relax.
- Relaxation - this speaks for itself. Everyone can benefit from some down time.
- Lengthen tissue that is tightened - as you workout and train tissue can become tight and not always will stretching alone work. Massage in combination with stretching is the best bet to help bring your body tissue back in balance.
- Relieve headaches - many people sit at computers all day and this can cause a lot of tension though the shoulders and neck area. Massage can help relieve the tension that can sometimes be a cause of the headache.
- Increase range of motion - tight tissue will limit mobility and range of motion. Lengthening tissue will help improve ROM.
- Increase flexibility - Better flexibility will help you limit injuries and improve your performance.
- Improve circulation - Improved circulation has many benefits. Better circulations helps to maintain balance in your system and improved blood flow can also help with energy and increase endurance.
- Improve lymph flow - this is great for increasing your immune system and eliminating toxins
- Correct muscular imbalances - many cases imbalances are caused from tight tissue and massage can help lengthen this tissue.
- Improve sleep - with reduced stress and more relaxation sleep can be improved. Sleep may be improved because you may have less pain and feel better.
- Boost immunity - improved lymph flow will help improve your immune system and less stress is also great for your immune system.
- Reduce anxiety - massage can be very relaxing for many people which will help with anxiety.
- Reduce risk of injury - injury can be caused from muscle imbalances and tightened tissue and massage can help with both of those.
- Relieve pain - pain can be caused from tightened tissue and massage can lengthen tissue.
Coach Cyndee, LMT