Some days you have it and some days you don't

Today we planned a long workout.  We were going to ride 50 miles, run 50 minutes and swim 50 lengths of the pool.  Why you may ask would you do that on a perfectly good Sunday?  Well today was my boyfriends 50th birthday so that is why we decided to do it.  We are crazy triathletes so what better way to celebrate.....right?  Well today I would say wrong to that.  I knew from the beginning of the ride that today was not a going to be a great day for a ride.  As soon as I knew my body was not into the ride I decided to keep an easy pace. That is what I did for most of the ride.  My hips were feeling pain today and then halfway into the ride I developed a throbbing headache.  But like any strong minded triathlete I was not going to give up.  It may be slow but I was going to get it done.  That is what I did. I  didn't try and break any records.  I took it easy on the bike, my run was pretty slow and the swim.....well it actually felt good to get in the pool and do any easy swim after all that. 

Everybody has days like I had today.  The important thing is to listen to your body. Sometimes you may need to turn a scheduled tempo run into an easy run.  It is not the end of the world if you have to do this.  You should think about what you have been doing that may have resulted in feeling this way.  Your performance could be a reflection of your diet, sleep patterns, stress, or many other factors.  I am not sure why I felt like I did today.  I think I have bursitis in my hips but have not had a formal diagnosis yet.  I have no idea why I got a headache during my ride but maybe I have not been drinking enough water.  The good news is that I have a day off from training tomorrow. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Triathletes - to spin or not to spin?

The Ironman Tattoo

Read Those Labels Carefully, You Might Be Missing Something