Getting Back To Exercise After Illness and Racing

This was very my very slow longest
run a month after getting sick
It's been about 6 weeks since I did Ironman Des Moines and it's been really tough getting back to training.  I had a rough race and didn't plan to rush back into training because I didn't have anything scheduled after this race.  If you read my last blog post about my race recap then you know I got a little sick a few weeks before the race.  It wasn't COVID just a mild cold and I felt like I recovered pretty good.  I hadn't been sick for many years leading up to this cold and I never even got COVID!  Coming back from the race my boyfriend went to Peru the day after we got back.  He was only gone a few days but apparently he had COVID.  I had a very brief interaction with him for only a few seconds and apparently that was enough to give me COVID.  He was only sick a few days with COVID but I was in bed for about 5 days and felt terrible.  I didn't have much of a cough but boy the body-aches and  headache was horrible.  To make matters worse right when my COVID was gone I was scheduled for a small cosmetic procedure that had me pretty much in bed for another week.  In total I was not doing anything for about 3 weeks except for walking my dogs.  I started working a little bit 2 after about 2 weeks and then a week later slowly started exercising.  I mostly feel good except for the fatigue and that is hard to overcome.  During exercise it's hard to keep going too long because I'm so tired.  I have never had this overwhelming feeling of fatigue except when I had mononucleosis in college.  I've been taking it slow and taking days off from training when I have a longer day at work.  I know the importance of not pushing to get back too soon.  I rest when I feel like I need it and when I'm feeling better I will do an easy workout.  All my workouts have been lower intensity even my biking wattage has been significantly lower than I was riding 6 weeks ago.  It's important to let my body fully recover before pushing too hard however it's important to have some movement and not be completely inactive.  I've been doing yoga, walking, easy running, easy biking,  and a little bit of strength training.  

I am getting a full blood panel work-up to make sure I'm not lacking in anything.  While I was sick I did quit taking my vitamins and didn't have much of an appetite and lost 5 pounds.  The fatigue could be a result of some deficiency so I feel it's important to check all my vitamin and hormone levels.  I take  vitamins to help with energy and ensure I am not missing any key nutrients.  I take the following vitamins (all of which are vegan formulas): 


  • Vitamin d3 with k2 
  • Now PQQ Energy formula - contains coq10, pqq and b-12
  • doTERRA MitoMax energy and stamina support
  • Probiotics 
  • Multiple Vitamin
  • Omega 3's
  • Mezotrace
  • Iron
  • CBD Gummies (at night)
  • Turmeric Gummies (at night)

It's important not to rush to get back to 100% because when you push too hard too fast then you will possibly face more setbacks.  Coming back from any illness can be tricky because one day you might feel great and push a little too hard and find yourself feeling really bad the next day.  

Listen to your body, listen to your doctor, and take your time getting back to training.  


Take It Easy, 

Coach Cyndee



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Triathletes - to spin or not to spin?

The Ironman Tattoo

Los Cabos 70.3 Relay Recap