Race Recap Ironman Des Moines

I can't believe I have done 14 Ironman races!!!  I have said many times this will be my last one but this time I am sure it will be my last.  I did not have enough time to train like I needed to train for this race.  I also had few medical procedures close to the race that kept me out of the pool for a few weeks close to the race.  For the first time I went into an Ironman race under prepared and boy did I feel it.  As a coach and competitive athlete I take training for these races very seriously and rarely miss a planned workout.  I know the importance of being properly prepared for this magnitude of a race.  I did get some long rides and runs in and had some long training days but I did miss a few long rides, a few long runs, and was out of the pool for almost 6 weeks leading up to the race.  I also got sick two weeks before the race. It had been nearly 3 years (before COVID) since I had been sick.  I never got COVID and luckily I didn't have it when I was sick recently.  I must have got a head cold or sinus infection because after a round of antibiotics I was feeling better.  Nevertheless it had me down for about 4 days just two weeks before the race.  Just because all of that wasn't enough I started my period Friday when the race was Sunday.  I was thankful I didn't start it Sunday because that would have been worse.   Of the 14 finishes I have started my period on the day of the race for 2 of them.  It brings fatigue, headaches, cramps and it's not an ideal situation on race day.  So starting it on Friday and having cramps Friday was much better than having that happen race day.  Unfortunately it's a scenario that women have to face when racing all the time.    

The surprising thing was my swim in the race was actually pretty good even with the lack of swimming I did for this event! I've been a swimmer and been in the water most of my life.  Swimming comes pretty easy and I really enjoy doing it.  I am not the fastest swimmer, however I swim pretty efficient without using a lot of energy and I can maintain a good pace for a long time.  We went for a practice swim on Thursday and I felt really good in the water.  The swim was unique in that it was two loops and you had to exit the water twice and run over a little bit of land and get back in the water.  

I finished the swim in 1:09 which was pretty good for me.  The bike was supposed to be a rolling hill bike course.  I knew there could be some wind but figured I could finish the bike in about 6 hours.  It turned out to be very windy and in every direction we had a headwind.  The hills were pretty big and far from rolling!! The rural area was really pretty but smelled pretty bad because of all the farms.  There was also a ton of roadkill on the road.  The roads had a lot of potholes which were mostly marked so we could avoid them but of course I hit the one hard.  I was sure I got a flat tire so I stopped but was thankful I didn't get a flat.  I stopped another time to use the bathroom.  I finished the bike in 6 hours and 30 minutes which was one of my slower times for an Ironman.  It was heating up and by the time I got off the bike it was close to 90 degrees with about 70% humidity. I didn't feel like the heat was much of a factor for me but other people were sure suffering from it.  
I was hoping to finish in 13 hours or less hours which is actually a slower time for me considering my slowest Ironman was St. George at 13:30 and my fastest was Ironman Maryland at 11:02.    Ironman St. George is a very tough course so its not surprising that was my slowest Ironman to complete.  Once I was off the bike I was hoping to finish the run in about 5 hours.  It became pretty apparent I didn't have it in me both physically and mentally to run a marathon.  I felt pretty nauseated and was trying to take in some fluids because I knew I needed it with the heat and humidity.  I slowly came to the realization I was going to be walking most of the marathon.  I was trying to take in nutrition but it just wasn't happening.  I felt like throwing up but I didn't  because I didn't eat or drink anything for most of the marathon, not even water.  I finished the marathon is 6 hours and 30 minutes which made my overall time 14:32.  It was by far my slowest Ironman but knowing I didn't get all the training and knowing it was going to be my last one I was just happy I finished.  I got back to the hotel and was super thirsty since I didn't drink most of the marathon.  I took a drink of a cold pellegrino  and immediately threw up several times.  I guess it was good it happened then because I'm not sure I could have kept going after throwing up.  I have only vomited a few times in my life, I just don't throw up.  I guess it was a good thing I didn't take in anything for the marathon because I might not have finished.  It's funny because I have done ultra marathons and Ironman races for close to 20 years now and have NEVER lost my big toenail.  I walked (not ran)  most of this marathon and my big toenail is black and blue and will probably be falling off in the near future!  
I am really looking forward to doing shorter races and enjoying more time without the pressure of the grueling training schedule.  As a coach I see clients struggle with managing work, family, and training and this race was exceptionally difficult for me to get it all in.  It is important before signing up for these long events to make sure your life will allow for the training and commitment that it will take.  Adding this race to my current work load was just too much and I paid the price.  I'm sure looking forward to some easy training days ahead of me!

Happy Training,

Coach Cyndee 






















Comments

  1. You really suffered through that, but considering everything, you did very well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You finished inspire of it all!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Triathletes - to spin or not to spin?

The Ironman Tattoo

Los Cabos 70.3 Relay Recap